Meisekimu
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~Your Otaku paradise, where it's too good to be true~

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

over-hyped anime list

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cuperos

Cuperos

over-hyped anime list Empty
PostSubject: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 8:01 am

A list of "anime greats" that i myself have seen with my own eyes and was severely disapointed.

I'll start with Trigun.

Trigun attempts to be funny but it really isn't. All the laughs just have Vash make funny faces and get beat up by kis or run around like a little pansy.

rule 1 in anime. If you are going to make a badass, DO NOT MAKE HIM COMIC RELIEF. It counters the seriousness of the plot which btw isn't very well put together. The climax (the ending arc of the anime) towards vash's past would be so much more interesting IF YOU INTRODUCED IT AT THE START, foreshadowed here and there, perhaps have a few rumours spread around about his past (rather than this repeated skit about his crime.

he killed a bazzilion people BUT THERE WERE NO CASUALTIES? what? did something get lost in translation?

Yes yes i know in the dub its said he DEFEATED these people...but what the hell's the point of being in a lawless post apocalyptic world setting IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO MERCILESSLY SLAUGHTER PEOPLE!? Why can't it instead be in a utopian future enviroment where vash's ideals make sense. he doesn't kill because doesn't want to deal with the law!

on that point. since when was it illegal (in a lawless post apocalyptic setting) TO DESTROY STUFF and beat up bad guys? why be shocked about a whole city being destroyed when that occurs everyday through the attack of warbands and bandits? moreover how can vash the gun toting person be blamed for all the damages when witnesses (remember-no casualties) clearly see that it was the hunters that destroyed it all WHICH I'LL REPEAT, HAPPENS EVERYDAY THROUGH BANDIT RAIDS ANYWAY!?

onto the plot heres something that should have been done. these are very basic techniques that any retard worth a damn should know, especially a proffessional freakin writer that earns cash for making this. its kind of a given in the occupation that you need to have more writing ability than a freakin fanfic writer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for example

vash is sometimes mistaken as his brother or constantly throughout the story his brother's warpath constantly haunts him as he leaves signs of his passing in each place vash visits. he's a bad guy that likes to kill lots and lots of people and NO ONE HAS EVEN HEARD OF HIM? wtf? that plothole should have been filled from the get go!

there is also the way the author put the only interesting thing in the plot (the end) so clumsily, making it appear out of nowhere. this is NOT what can be called a decently made story.

So what the hell? Why is this trash more popular than say... FIST OF THE NORTH STAR (where badass in postapocalyptic world is done right) or desert punk (where comedy in post apocalyptic work is done right-tho it shoulda toned down on the boob gags)

heres a lil lesson for you kiddies. this is the basic formula for a post apocalyptic shounen story.

setting: women are loose to keep themselves alive (or their lil bro timmy or their old gramps who's fallen into debt), resources are used sparingly (like water), killing is an everyday thing and that is where the real money is (which is why many people go into it...and many die as a result). people that work to retrieve water and develop technology never do it by choice they are always forced to at gun point. your average thugs are sleeze balls. finally rich people or finely dressed people (usually drawing influences from glam rock) are the bad guys.

story formula.
protagonist motivation-revenge or justice. anything else won't work
protagonist is NEVER GOKU (not overpowered-even ken from fist of the north star wasn't a super man). the best are usually anti-hero. the kind of asshole that belongs perfectly in this world. cynical but moral.

supporting cast-side kick. usually someone small.
love interest-innocent kidnapped princess or femme fatale (yandere or tsundere) that will usually fall into a moral dilemma as she has the choice to betray main character or save him.

antagonist-rich and very capitalist. the rest is anything you want. this is a world where the most ruthless get the most to gain and lose. so naturally the bad guy is the most powerful person in the story or...that person is merely a shadow king.

the rest just writes itself...if you avoid cliches (no...the above are not cliches...they are conditions and guidelines....trigun tried to vere away from these guidelines and you got trash and plotholes) you'll come up with a great story.

cliches like: the main guy has a sad past (think about it-WHO THE HELL DOESN'T IN THIS SETTING?), mysteriousness is best...if u have to go that way hint here and there and let the pieces all come together all at once right at the end (never spill all at once). a happy end where the world is saved and etc-bitter sweet is best in these kinds of tales. the guy gets the girl...the badass works alone, ur trying to make this guy go into legend. thats not going to happen if u get him hitched and nagged at by their other half.

Next time I'll talk about. bleach.

Last edited by Cuperos on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Vicious

Vicious

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 8:48 am

Lol I haven't seen trigun in a long long time but I know you hit the nail on the head, I can't wait to see your bleach review....
Back to top Go down
Shiori Kimura
Admin
Shiori Kimura

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 11:27 am

I haven't seen Trigun in a while either. I did enjoy the anime though. Lol.

And ooohh... Bleach. Go go!
Back to top Go down
http://flavors.me/shiorikimura
otakunick

otakunick

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Cuperos wrote:
A list of "anime greats" that i myself have seen with my own eyes and was severely disapointed.

I'll start with Trigun.

Trigun attempts to be funny but it really isn't. All the laughs just have Vash make funny faces and get beat up by kis or run around like a little pansy.

rule 1 in anime. If you are going to make a badass, DO NOT MAKE HIM COMIC RELIEF. It counters the seriousness of the plot which btw isn't very well put together. The climax (the ending arc of the anime) towards vash's past would be so much more interesting IF YOU INTRODUCED IT AT THE START, foreshadowed here and there, perhaps have a few rumours spread around about his past (rather than this repeated skit about his crime.

he killed a bazzilion people BUT THERE WERE NO CASUALTIES? what? did something get lost in translation?

Yes yes i know in the dub its said he DEFEATED these people...but what the hell's the point of being in a lawless post apocalyptic world setting IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO MERCILESSLY SLAUGHTER PEOPLE!? Why can't it instead be in a utopian future enviroment where vash's ideals make sense. he doesn't kill because doesn't want to deal with the law!

on that point. since when was it illegal (in a lawless post apocalyptic setting) TO DESTROY STUFF and beat up bad guys? why be shocked about a whole city being destroyed when that occurs everyday through the attack of warbands and bandits? moreover how can vash the gun toting person be blamed for all the damages when witnesses (remember-no casualties) clearly see that it was the hunters that destroyed it all WHICH I'LL REPEAT, HAPPENS EVERYDAY THROUGH BANDIT RAIDS ANYWAY!?

onto the plot heres something that should have been done. these are very basic techniques that any retard worth a damn should know, especially a proffessional freakin writer that earns cash for making this. its kind of a given in the occupation that you need to have more writing ability than a freakin fanfic writer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for example

vash is sometimes mistaken as his brother or constantly throughout the story his brother's warpath constantly haunts him as he leaves signs of his passing in each place vash visits. he's a bad guy that likes to kill lots and lots of people and NO ONE HAS EVEN HEARD OF HIM? wtf? that plothole should have been filled from the get go!

there is also the way the author put the only interesting thing in the plot (the end) so clumsily, making it appear out of nowhere. this is NOT what can be called a decently made story.

So what the hell? Why is this trash more popular than say... FIST OF THE NORTH STAR (where badass in postapocalyptic world is done right) or desert punk (where comedy in post apocalyptic work is done right-tho it shoulda toned down on the boob gags)

heres a lil lesson for you kiddies. this is the basic formula for a post apocalyptic shounen story.

setting: women are loose to keep themselves alive (or their lil bro timmy or their old gramps who's fallen into debt), resources are used sparingly (like water), killing is an everyday thing and that is where the real money is (which is why many people go into it...and many die as a result). people that work to retrieve water and develop technology never do it by choice they are always forced to at gun point. your average thugs are sleeze balls. finally rich people or finely dressed people (usually drawing influences from glam rock) are the bad guys.

story formula.
protagonist is NEVER GOKU (not overpowered-even ken from fist of the north star wasn't a super man). the best are usually anti-hero. the kind of asshole that belongs perfectly in this world. cynical but moral.

love interest-innocent kidnapped princess or femme fatale (yandere or tsundere) that will usually fall into a moral dilemma as she has the choice to betray main character or save him.

antagonist-rich and very capitalist. the rest is anything you want. this is a world where the most ruthless get the most to gain and lose. so naturally the bad guy is the most powerful person in the story or...that person is merely a shadow king.

the rest just writes itself...if you avoid cliches (no...the above are not cliches...they are conditions and guidelines....trigun tried to vere away from these guidelines and you got trash and plotholes) you'll come up with a great story.

cliches like: the main guy has a sad past (think about it-WHO THE HELL DOESN'T IN THIS SETTING?), mysteriousness is best...if u have to go that way hint here and there and let the pieces all come together all at once right at the end (never spill all at once). a happy end where the world is saved and etc-bitter sweet is best in these kinds of tales. the guy gets the girl...the badass works alone, ur trying to make this guy go into legend. thats not going to happen if u get him hitched and nagged at by their other half.

alow me to exsplain a little about trie gun since it seems you didint get the chuses the creaters mad
your first grip the facty that vas acts retarded moest of the time they have him do that as a way for the chater to keep its snaty in a other whys depressing life

aside from the gunho gang vash never rely killed anyone it gos agenst his phalosafy all the deaths people plame him for wher knives and its not iligol to bet up bad guys but cosing untold amounts of calatarol damig ins another soter

im not going to argu for the end becuse it was my lest favret pars and i also think it cud have gone better

the reson knives gos un notesed is thanks to him pining evrything on vash or his gunho gang

the athur didint have any say in the animes plot youd see that if you read the manga witch is pretty mutch another story alltogeather

probly the spagttie western feel to the show and the fact that the man chater is more likeabol then the ever depressing Kenshiro or the super pervert that is deasertpunk

Back to top Go down
http://nicksotakuhome.blogspot.com/
Cuperos

Cuperos

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 8:41 am

otakunick wrote:
Cuperos wrote:

I'll start with Trigun.

for example

story formula.

alow me to exsplain a little about trie gun since it seems you didint get the chuses the creaters mad
your first grip the facty that vas acts retarded moest of the time they have him do that as a way for the chater to keep its snaty in a other whys depressing life

aside from the gunho gang vash never rely killed anyone it gos agenst his phalosafy all the deaths people plame him for wher knives and its not iligol to bet up bad guys but cosing untold amounts of calatarol damig ins another soter

im not going to argu for the end becuse it was my lest favret pars and i also think it cud have gone better

the reson knives gos un notesed is thanks to him pining evrything on vash or his gunho gang

the athur didint have any say in the animes plot youd see that if you read the manga witch is pretty mutch another story alltogeather

probly the spagttie western feel to the show and the fact that the man chater is more likeabol then the ever depressing Kenshiro or the super pervert that is deasertpunk

I honestly struggled to read this and I can't really take you seriously with language like this.

but fine i'll bite.

1. Yes I know vash's attempt at being comic relief is meant to steer away from the badass anti-hero stereotype. My conclusion? it did not work. Or rather this method can work but the way it was formulated on this show is done all wrong. If you make a character look badass, you kill it by making him do funny faces and otherwise make his character purposely comedic. Its not funny when your badass is trying to be funny by making his "manly" voice his "other" voice. Its heart breaking. I can go into further detail on other facets of Vash (Hypocrite!!!!!!! A living contradiction!!!!!!!!) but anyone with a brain can spot them.

2. even if knives (silly name-knives is a lesser thug's name and why would a utopian society name their kids KNIVES-that crap just screams "I'm going to be the bad guy") put all the blame on vash the people of the desert are not stupid. They con each other all the time and know that information is never that reliable. If they were gullible as hell well frankly they wouldn't be alive. People PLAINLY SEE vash doesn't actually do anything.

3. Badasses will always be liked more in this genre. why? Because their story is told much better. I freakin love desert punk way more than kenshiro or vash. Why? because he belongs perfectly inside that cruel world and illustrates quite clearly when captain hero boy appears that virtuous characters are utterly out of place in these kind of enviroments to the point that the guy got tricked into joining the bad guys.
Back to top Go down
Shiori Kimura
Admin
Shiori Kimura

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 9:07 am

@otakunick,
I would still like to know if your English is really like that.
Back to top Go down
http://flavors.me/shiorikimura
otakunick

otakunick

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Cuperos wrote:
otakunick wrote:
Cuperos wrote:

I'll start with Trigun.

for example

story formula.

I honestly struggled to read this and I can't really take you seriously with language like this.

but fine i'll bite.

1. Yes I know vash's attempt at being comic relief is meant to steer away from the badass anti-hero stereotype. My conclusion? it did not work. Or rather this method can work but the way it was formulated on this show is done all wrong. If you make a character look badass, you kill it by making him do funny faces and otherwise make his character purposely comedic. Its not funny when your badass is trying to be funny by making his "manly" voice his "other" voice. Its heart breaking. I can go into further detail on other facets of Vash (Hypocrite!!!!!!! A living contradiction!!!!!!!!) but anyone with a brain can spot them.

2. even if knives (silly name-knives is a lesser thug's name and why would a utopian society name their kids KNIVES-that crap just screams "I'm going to be the bad guy") put all the blame on vash the people of the desert are not stupid. They con each other all the time and know that information is never that reliable. If they were gullible as hell well frankly they wouldn't be alive. People PLAINLY SEE vash doesn't actually do anything.

3. Badasses will always be liked more in this genre. why? Because their story is told much better. I freakin love desert punk way more than kenshiro or vash. Why? because he belongs perfectly inside that cruel world and illustrates quite clearly when captain hero boy appears that virtuous characters are utterly out of place in these kind of enviroments to the point that the guy got tricked into joining the bad guys.

you do make vaaled ponts and yes trie gun is a bit over hiped but its not as bad as your makeing it out to be eather and you cant rely say anything about the voice thats was jony young boshes short comeing in the ENG dub the jap vash emoted alot better and as for not all the people in that world be stuped wher we watching the same show becuse it seemed to me that everyone outside of the main cast and one or two villons wher complet and utter morons and you rely shud trie the manga agen its alot better a bit harder to get into then the anime buty well worth it

(and on a side note im dyslexic and had a bad cass of ADD as a child so my spelling sucks sorry for that and just telling you its kinda a duch move to attack sumones spelling without knowing the reson behind it)
Back to top Go down
Cuperos

Cuperos

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 8:27 pm

otakunick wrote:
you do make vaaled ponts and yes trie gun is a bit over hiped but its not as bad as your makeing it out to be eather and you cant rely say anything about the voice thats was jony young boshes short comeing in the ENG dub the jap vash emoted alot better and as for not all the people in that world be stuped wher we watching the same show becuse it seemed to me that everyone outside of the main cast and one or two villons wher complet and utter morons and you rely shud trie the manga agen its alot better a bit harder to get into then the anime buty well worth it

(and on a side note im dyslexic and had a bad cass of ADD as a child so my spelling sucks sorry for that and just telling you its kinda a duch move to attack sumones spelling without knowing the reson behind it)
In actuality I treat everything the same...if it pisses me off I will complain about it, reason why and finally challenge (not deny their oppinion, challenge) the opposing oppinion demanding an explanation so that a dialogue is established.

I'm not racist, homophobic or give favourable treatment to the disabled. If treating everyone equally makes me a douche bag then political correctness can go exactly where it belongs...the bin where it will never be spoken of until humanity stops being a living contradiction.

but case in point, yes it is as bad as i make it out to be. Having seen so many stories of the same time. I know how it should go to be done right and it does alot of the very basic things wrongs. The very few things that have been done right were way too dragged down by the many many flaws at play.

these being 2 mahor things.
the fights plot/conception-not the way the fight was portrayed. The way the action is portrayed is kinda lame BUT THE IDEAS on how the fights go about are very well thought of though somewhat formulaic but I won't begrudge that its around this time that these cliches were just forming into cliches.

also the supporting cast. bugger vash, that priest dude shoulda been the main guy and vash his buddy that is comic relief. plus the 2 chicks (tho it woulda been better if they were drawn hotter-the tall lady reminds me way too much of al shizar from escaflowne). again...they are a tad cliche but what i said previous applies.
Back to top Go down
otakunick

otakunick

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 6:26 am

Cuperos wrote:
otakunick wrote:

In actuality I treat everything the same...if it pisses me off I will complain about it, reason why and finally challenge (not deny their oppinion, challenge) the opposing oppinion demanding an explanation so that a dialogue is established.

I'm not racist, homophobic or give favourable treatment to the disabled. If treating everyone equally makes me a douche bag then political correctness can go exactly where it belongs...the bin where it will never be spoken of until humanity stops being a living contradiction.

but case in point, yes it is as bad as i make it out to be. Having seen so many stories of the same time. I know how it should go to be done right and it does alot of the very basic things wrongs. The very few things that have been done right were way too dragged down by the many many flaws at play.

the fights plot/conception-not the way the fight was portrayed. The way the action is portrayed is kinda lame BUT THE IDEAS on how the fights go about are very well thought of though somewhat formulaic but I won't begrudge that its around this time that these cliches were just forming into cliches.

also the supporting cast. bugger vash, that priest dude shoulda been the main guy and vash his buddy that is comic relief. plus the 2 chicks (tho it woulda been better if they were drawn hotter-the tall lady reminds me way too much of al shizar from escaflowne). again...they are a tad cliche but what i said previous applies.

true but at the same time this is no way a bad anime they way your talking about it cud pasably discurig sumone from watching a pretty good anime yes its not as good as all the hype ses it is but i can name fare wors anime
Back to top Go down
Cuperos

Cuperos

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 12:38 pm

otakunick wrote:
Cuperos wrote:
otakunick wrote:

true but at the same time this is no way a bad anime they way your talking about it cud pasably discurig sumone from watching a pretty good anime yes its not as good as all the hype ses it is but i can name fare wors anime

if standards get low animators get lazy.
Back to top Go down
otakunick

otakunick

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 6:11 am

Cuperos wrote:
otakunick wrote:
Cuperos wrote:
otakunick wrote:

if standards get low animators get lazy.

true but this was not a big budget anime to begin with compared to cowboy bebop its budget was non existentits true its over hyped and its true its not as good as other anime of its time but it is in no way shape or form a bad anime its just it dos not appel to you now since starting this little debate with you iv gone back and re-watched eps of this anime and the animation tho dated is still good proportionally everything looks right the lip syncing is good the dub cast is good and the story dos its job as being entertaining and it has a fan base to this day witch lead to a new movie being released as well as it being re-released on blue ray now just because you did not like it that dos not mean its bad its not a masterpiece but its not bad it would be run of the mill
Back to top Go down
SapphireRouge
Admin
SapphireRouge

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 7:56 am

High School of the Dead

When it was gonna come out, people were excited and all that. Towards the end of the show, lots of people expressed utter disappointment.

Hype haha

Trigun. Hmm.. I heard good things about it from others but when I watched it, It did not meet my expectations. The plot itself did not hold towards the end. It felt kinda rushed. Legato to me could have been a better villain than Knives but the fact that he was just Knives' pawn was why he wasn't any better.
And Vash is badass enough. A badass distinguishes himself from the majority by being deviant. In his case, a good funny guy with a horrible past with godlike shooting skills and big arm cannon in a world with common small fry criminals is badass enough.
Back to top Go down
Cuperos

Cuperos

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 8:18 am

SapphireRouge wrote:
High School of the Dead

When it was gonna come out, people were excited and all that. Towards the end of the show, lots of people expressed utter disappointment.

Hype haha

Trigun. Hmm.. I heard good things about it from others but when I watched it, It did not meet my expectations. The plot itself did not hold towards the end. It felt kinda rushed. Legato to me could have been a better villain than Knives but the fact that he was just Knives' pawn was why he wasn't any better.
And Vash is badass enough. A badass distinguishes himself from the majority by being deviant. In his case, a good funny guy with a horrible past with godlike shooting skills and big arm cannon in a world with common small fry criminals is badass enough.

badass or...a cheap character...luch like laharl in the disgaea anime. theres no doubt who'll win.
Back to top Go down
Vicious

Vicious

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 8:42 am

Whoa disagea has an anime???
Back to top Go down
SapphireRouge
Admin
SapphireRouge

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 9:05 am

^ yeah it has. just 13 eps i think.
Back to top Go down
otakunick

otakunick

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 9:50 am

SapphireRouge wrote:
High School of the Dead

Hype haha

the HSOTD anime ends right after the first arc there is still more the manga had 2 more arcs out by the time the anime ended and has just started a 3rd (its a slow manga to come out)
Back to top Go down
SapphireRouge
Admin
SapphireRouge

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Yeah, I just keep track of the manga. The anime.. meh.. even with the OVAs, it's still not enough
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: over-hyped anime list   over-hyped anime list I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

over-hyped anime list
Page 1 of 1